Penlee House Gallery & Museum, Penzance
The artistic heart of West Cornwall's history

Social History & Decorative Arts

Sort by Title: (A-Z) | (Z-A)     or     sort by Date Acquired: Latest | Earliest     with Images | without Images
Search within Social History & Decorative Arts:

The Lady of The Isles Aground At Lamorna In The Summer of 1903

In 1904 the Lady of the Isles, during a sight seeing trip, became stranded at Lamorna. Photographs of this are at the Penlee House Museum. The passengers were taken off by the ship's lifeboats. The Lady of the Isles was salvaged and converted into a salvage steamer which was sunk by a mine in 1940. The Lyonnesse operated as a salvage steamer out of Ireland during World War One and was scrapped in Hayle in 1928. The cranes and guard rails on the pier remained until at least 1909.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Porthgwarra Cove

Porthgwarra Cove and the slipway are privately owned. At the foot of the slipway is a tunnel which was blasted out of the rock by St Just miners to give farmers easier access with horse and cart to the beach to collect seaweed for fertiliser for their fields. A second tunnel leads seawards which gave fishermen access to the tidal 'hulleys' built into the rocks to store shellfish. They had wooden floors and covers with trap doors. They were used to store shellfish before they were taken to market.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Photograph Album

Photograph album containing 90 images. Originally the property of Blandford Fletcher

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Photograph Album

Photograph album originally owned by Cecily Tennyson Jesse

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Photograph Album

Views of Penzance photograph album

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Photograph Album

Photograph album with loose photographs relating to RM Hughes. On the cover is a painted image of an ocean liner.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Jubilee Pool And Cafe

Colour transparency of Jubilee Pool and cafe area

Acquisition date: --

view details >

St. Michael's Mount

Image of St. Michael's Mount from Marazion Beach

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Newlyn Harbour From Chywoone Hill

Colour transparency of view of Newlyn harbour from Chywoone Hill. Large container ship which may be a coal haulk.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Jubilee Pool Ubilee Pool

Colour transparency of Jubilee Pool with the Seaman's mission in the background and the war memorial to the right.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Kenneth Miles Hart

Colour transparency of Kenneth Miles Hart who was involved with the Jubilee Pool and worked for Penzance Borough Council

Acquisition date: --

view details >

St Just United Mine

Cape Cornwall, St Just is one of many images of the Penzance area taken by Robert Preston and contained within an album. This picture illustrates the temporary nature of the wooden buildings in contrast to the beautifully constructed permanent mine buildings. The Cape, one of two in the Great Britain, is now in the hands of the National Trust and where the photographer stood is a golf course. Note the difference between the dirty clothes of the miner and the white shirts of the other men. Were they clerks or had they emerged from the bathhouse below? The Count House on the Cape has been converted into accommodation: the chimney stack on the summit remains. The mine was in operation from 1836 to 1873.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Longships Lighthouse

The Longships Lighthouse at Lands End is one of many images of the Penzance area taken by Robert Preston and contained within an album. This new rock-tower lighthouse was built between 180 and 1873 to replace the 1795 one on Carn Bras which had become undercut by the seas. The clean appearance of the surface of the lighthouse indicates that this photo was taken soon after its completion. How soon is conjectural but it was after the demolition of the old tower in 1874. Here 3 keepers are pictured on the rocks with a davit in the background.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

The Logan Rock

The Logan Rock in 1825 is one of many images of the Penzance area taken by Robert Preston and contained within an album. The Logan Rock near Treen is a 70 ton naturally balanced boulder which, if gently touched at the base, will rock or log. The headland Treryn Dinas, which is the same as the old name for Gurnard's Head, has a fortified castle. See also 2005.153.20 One legend says that this was King Arthur's castle and that Merlin was imprisoned in a cave beneath the Logan Rock.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Restoring The Logan Rock

Restoring Logan Rock (from an old print of 1825) one of many images of the Penzance area taken by Robert Preston and contained within an album. Cornish term - to log means to roll around; Hugh was the nephew of Oliver Goldsmith; one motive may have been to disprove Dr Borlases's theory that the stone could not be toppled; one source says that the Admiralty helped towards the restoration with 60 men, block and tackle and £25; there is an etching of the restoration attempt; it never rocked properly after the event

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Gurnards Head

The Gurnards's Head, East view is one of many images of the Penzance area taken by Robert Preston and contained within an album. This greenstone promontary is so named because of its resemblance to the gurnard fish. Its old name was Treryn Dinas as it was a cliff castle like its namesake near Porthcurno which also has a rocking stone. This aspect, pictured from above, shows why it was chosen as a place of defence but it would not have been so close to the cliff edge in iron age times.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Golden Girl And Golden Post Box

2012 Olympic gold medallist, Penzance girl Helen Glover, is holding her gold medal next to the post box painted gold in her honour at Quay Street, Penzance. Helen and her partner Helen Standing won the first British medals in the 2012 Olympics. They had to miss the magnificent opening ceremony in London but were able to attend the closing ceremony.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Golden Girl And Golden Post Box

2012 Olympic gold medallist and Penzance girl, Helen Glover, with her gold medal standing by the gold post box painted in her honour at Quay Street, Penzance

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Wooden Model of Tin Stamp

Model of tin stamps used for crushing tin ore

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Pumping Steam Engine, Model

Model of pumping steam engine commonly used in this area during the tin mining boom (several parts broken)

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Scold's Bridle

Iron muzzles of this type were first used in the 19th century in Scotland. In many cases the gag, which effectively silenced the miscreant was rasped and most had chains attached by which the wearer was led through the streets.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Tin Workers Hammer

Iron head with wooden shaft

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Carbon Crucible Dating From 1850

Glazed baked crucible used for assaying lead or tin

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Hand Forged Iron Lantern To Hold Candle

Lantern with horn windows and a screw fastened base, early C.19th

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Oil Lamp

Hand thrown clear yellow glaze stem with three lips pressed into top rim, late C.18th or early C.19th

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Menu
Logo