Penlee House Gallery & Museum, Penzance
The artistic heart of West Cornwall's history

Photography

Sort by Title: (A-Z) | (Z-A)     or     sort by Date Acquired: Latest | Earliest     with Images | without Images
Search within Photography:
Click here to see this item

Fire At Parker's Shop, 1969, Aftermath

After the destruction by fire in 1969 of Parker's General Suppliers shop, the site in Market Jew Street became vacant before Tesco redeveloped it as a retail store. Thereafter, Parker's traded from the old Branwell Granary in Albert Street

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

Fire At Parkers Shop - A Fireman Damps Down The Flames

In the early hours of Sunday 24 March 1969, a police patrol car spotted a fire in Parker's department store. Forty firemen tackled the blaze which destroyed part of the building, damaging the remainder and its stock and windows opposite. In 2011 the premises from left to right are Boots, Tesco Express, Milletts and Poundland.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

Parker's, General Supppliers And The South Western Electricity Shop of Market Jew Street, Go Up In Flames

Flames could be seen for eight miles from this scene of destruction in Market Jew Street. The popular Parker's General Suppliers and the SWEB shop were all but destroyed in the early hours of 24 March 1969. Shops on the opposite terrace had their windows broken and it is rumoured that, had not the direction of the wind changed, more shops would have been set alight.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

Morrab Gardens, Penzance

The Morrab Gardens is the first public garden in Cornwall. It is carefully tended by the local council gardeners and despite hosting rare and beautiful exotic plants all year around, is used and appreciated by local people and visitors of all ages on every day of the year. It provides colourful tranquillity in the heart of Penzance. It is 2012 and the bandstand is in good condition and used occasionally, but the weekly brass band concerts are no more. The Morrab Private Library can be seen in the background.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

I AM COMING HOME FROM PENZANCE

A gentleman, possibly an actor with his striped blazer, straw hat, white trousers and soft shoes, is making his way down a ladder from the first floor of a boarding establishment. It is full moon and he carries a Gladstone bag.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

Branwell's Corner

The tall building in the centre was known as Branwells Corner which, in 1916, became Timothy Whites shop. It was demolished and rebuilt in the 1980s. The grocery shops of Elliot and Pengelly were owned by the Pengelly family until 1930. The shop on corner was Shakerly the Chemist which bore the Royal Coat of Arms as it was entitled to sell stamps. The shop with a bowed window was Miss Chudleigh's Eating House. The shop to the left was the West Cornwall Tea and Supply Store which was demolished in about 1930 for Montague Burton's chain of Tailor shops.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

The Market House In Penzance

The North and East elevations of Penzance Market House. It is made of Cornish granite with ashlar stonework. The Market House and Guildhall opened on 14 June 1838. This photograph pre-dates the 1922 refurbishment by Cowell, Drewitt and Wheatley. The wooden box by the lower front window housed a pilot light for the lamp on the corner of the building.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

The Market House In Penzance

The South and East elevations of Penzance Market House. It is made of Cornish granite with ashlar stonework. The Market House and Guildhall opened on 14 June 1838. This photograph pre-dates the 1922 refurbishment by Cowell, Drewitt and Wheatley. The wooden box by the lower front window housed a pilot light for the lamp on the corner of the building. Haddon's Ironmonger's closed in 1928. Above is what is said to be tthe oldest chimney in the town.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

Remodelling of Market House, Penzance For Lloyds Bank

This shows the removal of the east elevation in order to refit Penzance Market House as commissioned by Lloyds Bank. The architects, Cowell, Drewitt and Wheatley completely refitted the east elevation. The picture shows the scaffolding of wooden spars lashed together with rope.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

The Entrance To The Shambles Meat Market Opposite The Market House

Pictured here is the old entrance from Market Place to the Shambles Meat Market. The area on the left was used for hanging cattle ready for sale. Many of the slaughterhouses were in Bread Street where there was inadequate drainage to deal with the waste products, thus giving perpetual problems for the Borough's Sanitary Officer. Notices tell of the change of premises to the old Butter Market in Princess Street. The photograph is dated 1928 when the Borough sold the premises to the adjacent Messrs Simpsons, outfitters. This allowed Simpsons to extend their outfitters shop. Simpsons, still a family business in 2013, have retained the passageway shown which provides a short cut from Bread Street to the Terrace.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

The Entrance To The Shambles Meat Market Opposite The Market House

Pictured here is the old entrance from Market Place to the Shambles Meat Market. The area on the left was used for hanging cattle ready for sale. Many of the slaughterhouses were in Bread Street where there was inadequate drainage to deal with the waste products, thus giving perpetual problems for the Borough's Sanitary Officer. Notices tell of the change of premises to the old Butter Market in Princess Street. The photograph is dated 1928 when the Borough sold the premises to the adjacent Messrs Simpsons, outfitters. This allowed Simpsons to extend their outfitters shop. Simpsons, still a family business in 2013, have retained the passageway shown which provides a short cut from Bread Street to the Terrace.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

The Entrance To The Shambles Meat Market Opposite The Market House

Pictured here is the old entrance from Market Place to the Shambles Meat Market. The area on the left was used for hanging cattle ready for sale. Many of the slaughterhouses were in Bread Street where there was inadequate drainage to deal with the waste products, thus giving perpetual problems for the Borough's Sanitary Officer. A notice tells of the change of premises to the old Butter Market in Princess Street. The photograph is dated 1928 when the Borough sold the premises to the adjacent Messrs Simpsons, outfitters. This allowed Simpsons to extend their outfitters shop. Simpsons, still a family business in 2013, have retained the passageway shown which provides a short cut from Bread Street to the Terrace.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

The Interior of The Penzance Meat Market, Known As The Shambles

This is the interior of the Meat Market, The Terrace, Penzance. Meat from slaughterhouses in Bread Street was hung overnight and sold in the market which closed in 1926 and was demolished in 1928. The central building part of what was 'The Shambles' meat market moved from the old Corn Exchange below in 18--. The market supplied meat to shops and stalls in front of the building. The Public Health Authority bemoaned the lack of hygiene as there was no drainage to take away the blood etc from the slaughterhouses. The streets ran with blood. The shop to the left is Simspons Oufitters which took over the passageway to Bread Street and the space in between. The shop to the right was Michchell's Outfitters and Hatters which became Dingles and is now a building society.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

The Entrance To The Shambles Meat Market Opposite The Market House

Pictured here on the right is the old entrance from Bread Street to the Shambles Meat Market. The area on the left was used for hanging cattle ready for sale. Many of the slaughterhouses were in Bread Street. These premises were sold in 1928 to Simpsons Brothers who had an adjacent outfitters shop. Simpsons, still a family business in 2013, have retained the passageway shown which provides a short cut from Bread Street to the Terrace.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

The Old Entrance To Shambles Meat Market From Bread Street, Penzance

Pictured here is the old entrance from Bread Street to the Shambles Meat Market. Many of the slaughterhouses were in Bread Street where there was inadequate drainage to deal with the waste products, thus giving perpetual problems for the Borough's Sanitary Officer. Two notices on the door tell of the change of premises to the old Butter Market in Princess Street. The photograph is dated 1928 when the Borough sold the premises to the adjacent Messrs Simpsons, outfitters. Simpsons, still a family business in 2013, have retained the passageway here which provides a short cut from Bread Street to the Terrace and is fondly known as Simpsons' Steps.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

Gents' Toilet In Bread Street, Penzance

Sign for the Gentleman's Lavatory in Bread Street

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

Market House At Midnight In Penzance Illuminated And Decorated In Honour of A Royal Occasion

This is the West elevation of Penzance Market House. It is a semi classic structure of Cornish granite with ashlar stonework surmounted by a lofty dome at the Eastern end.. The Market House and Guildhall opened on 14 June 1838 on the site of the old Market House and Coinage Hall which incorporated prison cells. The Post Office was located below the colonnade in 1864. The ancient granite cross, now outside Penlee House Museum, was against the Southern wall. The monument to Sir Humphry Davy, built by public subscription, was sculpted by W and T Wills and unveiled on 17 October 1872.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

Market House, Penzance

The Market House and Guildhall was built on a 3-cornered plot purchased from Richard Daniel in 1615 replacing a much earlier building. The plans were drawn up by William Harris of Bristol. The foundation stone was laid on 11 July 1836 and it was opened on Queen Victoria's Coronation day 28 June 1838. The dome was re-modelled in 1925 when the western end was converted for the new Lloyd's Bank. Penzance Corporation maintained the right to maintain the town clock, the flagstaff and the portico for proclamations, etc. It ceased being used as the town hall in 1867 when the new Public Building (St John's Hall) was opened. The Market House continued selling meat (Mr Tonkin) into the 1960s and green groceries into the 1970s. As the balcony was removed from the Star Hotel in 1860 it would appear that this photo dates from sometime in the 1850s. Also, the high stove pipe hat worn by the gentleman in the foreground was going out of fashion.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

Transporter Continuing Its Journey From Penzance Harbour To Indian Queens

This transporter was shipped to Penzance harbour for onward transport to Indian Queens in May 1971. It was a slow journey with each section of the A30 being cleared and closed as it inched past. This photograph was taken from the dome of Lloyds Bank and it was on a Sunday.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

Stranded Whales

A school of whales is beached near Penzance - "On 1 July 1911, 60 whales were beached in the Eastern Green Beach. Great efforts were made to encourage them out to sea but these attempts failed. All the whales were destroyed by being shot. The Local Authority was tasked with disposing of the carcases. Some farmers had them taken to their farms where they were covered with sand and seaweed to rot down for manure. Hundreds of people came sight-seeing the spectacle."

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

Penzance Dock, Looking Towards The Town

The steamer is the Maralie and she is probably discharging coal, a large heap of which is on the eastern arm of the dock behind the dock office. Behind the Maralie is the distinctive funnel of a Coastlines steamer which is black with a white chevron. Behind them can be seen the three gabled ends of the roofing over Holman's dockside engineering works. The Maralie was owned in about 1934 to 1935 by Arthur C Reynolds of Portreath.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

Bathing Beach, Penzance

The bathing huts were intended for lady bathers, and companies had to be licensed by the local authority to let them out. When they wanted to bathe, the ladies would get changed in them and be towed into the sea. The idea was that the men would not be able to see them, and there was a bye law whereby gentlemen bathed in the mornings, ladies in the afternoons. Gentlemen were not allowed within 40 yards of the ladies' huts but could hire their own hut at least that distance away. Because at high tide the sea reached the promenade, the leasing of huts was very limited.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

The Serpentine Works, Wherrytown

This is the Serpentine Works at Wherrytown, Penzance. Previously it was the smelting works of the Wherrytown Tin Mine. The site was purchased by the Bolithos, with the help of Penzance Borough and the Bolitho Gardens opened in 1912. Serpentine was extensively used in homes and churches during nineteenth century and apparently ordered by Queen Victoria after her visit to Penzance in 1846 as well as being displayed at the 1851 Great Exhibition.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

Wherry Town Mine

This is a photograph of an etching made for the Royal Geographical Society of Wherry Town Mine shaft situated out to sea between Penzance and Newlyn, with the Battery and St.Michael's Mount in the background. Built in 1778 by Thomas Curtis of Breage, the mine shaft was protected by a stone breakwater. Thomas Gundry erected a steam engine on shore to facilitate lifting of the ore from the mine workings. Operations ceased in 1798 when an American vessel anchored in the bay, broke its moorings and crashed into and demolished the head gear. It re-opened in the 1830s but closed again in 1840. The headgear is illustrated and what appears to be a ventilation shaft.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Click here to see this item

Old Road To Newlyn 1880s

The old road to Newlyn was destroyed by storm damage in late 1880s and so the 'new' road was built somewhat away from the shoreline. The Serpentine Works can be seen in the centre background and were owned by a London company. The area pictured later became site of Bolitho Gardens.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Menu
Logo