Penlee House Gallery & Museum, Penzance
The artistic heart of West Cornwall's history

Photography

Sort by Title: (A-Z) | (Z-A)     or     sort by Date Acquired: Latest | Earliest     with Images | without Images
Search within Photography:

A.J.Munnings With Evelyn Hicks

A.J.Munnings with Evelyn Hicks, who modelled for him. She was born in 1895 and lived in Newlyn, and was friends with many of the Lamorna artists. She married twice, her married names were Stallybrass, then Moorley.

view details >

Abbey Basin, Penzance

A pennant flies on St Mary's Church Tower. Two figures are above the steps leading to the Abbey Basin at low tide. Note the advertising billboards on the right of the steps, which need to be identified to date the picture.

view details >

Abbey Slip, Penzance

The steps are on Abbey slip linking Wharf Road with Chapel Street. The Church is St Mary’s Church, Penzance’s Mother church whose tower can be seen in the background. To its right is the bell tower of the West Cornwall Girls’ School. Below this is a warehouse which in 2015 is an office block. The Abbey Basin was completed in 1884 three years after the Ross Bridge was built to link the North and South Piers. The area to the right was also known as East Cliff referring to the time before erosion took away these cliffs. The picture is familiar as the subject of Stanhope Forbes painting of Abbey Basin. A two masted ship, yacht and a few rowing boats are in the harbour at full tide.

view details >

Above Lamorna Cove

A lady sits above Lamorna Cove. Near the top of the hill is the huer's hut and below is the shop that the late John Daniels built. It is likely that the photograph was taken for inclusion in the Penzance Tourist guide.

view details >

Acton Castle, Rosudgeon.

Acton Castle was built in 1773 for John Stackhouse of Pendarves and named for his wife Susanna nee Acton. It is located at the furthest point along Trevean Lane near Rosudgeon, with views from Lizard Point to Tater Dhu lighthouse. As John Stackhouse was only an occasional visitor, he left the castle in the care of his tenant John Carter. Unbeknown to Stackhouse, John Carter (1738-1807) was the notorious smuggler known as the "King of Prussia" and there are many rumours of a tunnel having been built running from the Castle's foundations to Stackhouse Cove below. The castle spent much of the 20th century as a country hotel, before it was closed in the 1980s and converted into luxury apartments, as it remains today. More information about Acton Castle a Grade II listed house is attached.

view details >

Actors From The Merchant of Venice And As You Like It During The Shakespearean Festival In Penzance In 1948

Ernest Peirce."The man who brought Shakespeare to Cornwall" had organised successful Shakespearean plays, initially in Penzance and then later all over Cornwall for a number of years before World War Two. With the blessing and support of Penzance Corporation, in 1948 he reintroduced the seasonal plays which attracted average audiences of 800 people. The Festival ceased on his death in 1952.

view details >

Advertising C And B Corsets, Drapers of Penzance

Miss Lily Elsie is advertising C B Corsets, Axworthy, Milliner and General Drapers of 26 The Terrace, Penzance.

view details >

Aerial Photo of The Scillonian II At Sea On Her Maiden Voyage From Penzance To St Mary's On 17 November 1955

Aerial photo of the Scillonian II at sea on her maiden voyage from Penzance to St Mary's on 17 November 1955.

view details >

Aerial Photograph of Drift Reservoir

Aerial photograph of Drift reservoir

view details >

Aerial Photograph of Drift Reservoir

Aerial photograph of Drift reservoir

view details >

Aerial Photograph of Drift Reservoir

Aerial photograph of Drift reservoir

view details >

Aerial Photograph of Drift Reservoir

Aerial photograph of Drift reservoir

view details >

Aerial Photograph of Gulval

This is an aerial photograph of Gulval Church and village, looking westwards, circa 1960s

view details >

Aerial Photograph of Gulval

View of the lych gate on south side of Gulval Churchyard , circa 1960s

view details >

Aerial Photograph of Gulval

View of Gulval Church and churchyard, circa 1960s

view details >

Aerial Photograph of Gulval

View of Gulval Church and churchyard, circa 1960s

view details >

Aerial Photograph of The Lamorna Valley

This aerial view of Lamorna shows the irregular field pattern that has developed there. To the left of centre are 2 small fields which could be from the Bronze Age. Small coastal fields with protective hedging were used in Victorian and Edwardian times to grow new potatoes, violets, anemones and daffodils to be exported to English markets via the railway system. This rural area attracted many artists in the late 19th, early 20th century and in 2014 has a thriving artistic community.

view details >

Aerial Photograph of The Village of Mousehole

This aerial view of Mousehole shows a village clustered around a sandy beached harbour with a small entrance. It is considered that in medieval times the area comprised two separate towns. One road from Paul runs to the sea whilst the other connects Newlyn to Lamorna. Mousehole Wild Bird Hospital may be seen on the bottom left of the picture on Raginnis Hill. To the left of the harbour is St Clement’s Methodist Church. Every Christmas the village community marks Tom Bawcock’s Eve and puts on a tremendous Christmas light display, in the Summer it holds a regatta.

view details >

Aerial Shot of A Ship At Sea

Aerial shot of a ship at sea, possibly HMS Indomitable entering the Isles of Scilly waters.

view details >

Aerial Shot of A Ship In Difficulties

Aerial shot of a ship in difficulties, being followed by a lifeboat and another smaller boat

view details >

Aerial View of Drift Reservoir

Drift reservoir shortly after completion

view details >

Aerial View of Lamorna Cove

Seen from the air, the fields in the foreground are those of Tregurnow Farm in Lamorna Cove. Higher Kemyel Farm is centre right. Lower right is part of Freeman's Granite Quarry above the quarrymen's cottages and the quay. The fields on the left are unusually large when compared with the typical fieleds on the far side of the valley.

view details >

Aerial View of Lamorna Cove.

An aerial view of Lamorna Cove with Rosmodress Farm in the top middle and Tregurno Farm at the right hand side of the image. Flagstaff Cottage, home of Lamorna Birch, is in the centre of the picture above Freeman's Granite Quarry. 'Lamorna' (Cornish Nansmorrow) was first recorded in 1305 and tin streaming was first noted in the 1380s. Quarries were opened by John Freeman on St Aubyn land in 1849 and continued until 1911. Some notable uses of the stone were London CC offices; Thames Embankment; Wolf & Bishop Rock lighthouses and a plinth weighing 20 tons was sent to the Great Exhibition of 1851. In addition to Lamorna Birch, Lamorna was also home to Alfred Munnings and Harold & Laura Knight. Source: Wikipedia.

view details >

Aerial View of Mousehole

A colour aerial view of Mousehole Harbour, and village.

view details >

Aerial View of Newlyn Harbour

An aerial view of Newlyn harbour

view details >

Menu
Logo