This could be a unique example of a prehistoric funerary barrow. It consists of a large stone closed chamber within a central dome surrounded by a later collar or cairn-ring. The central chamber contained a number of stone cists or small slab coffins and a ritual pit which is still visible. The central dome, which would have been capped, is 10' high with a diameter of 37'. Two further cists are found between the stone ring and another stone wall, also a small recess which has a pit cut into the floor. Opening onto the outside of the wall is a well preserved entrance grave. When excavated by Borlase in 1878 the cists contained urns and cremated bones from the middle Bronze Age. To the right is the chimney stack at Cape Cornwall.
The wording on the sail is "This vessel was used in a war time escape from France. The Film of a Daring Escape was called "The Wooden Horse" and was being screened at the Ritz.
A photograph of a 1/4 scale model of an Aga made by Bert Dyer of Mousehole, Cornwall.
Corpus Christi Fair is held in Penzance to mark the Roman Catholic celebration on 6 June to honour the presence of the body of Jesus Christ in the communion wafer. It used to be the largest fair in Cornwall, the amusements being provided by Anderton and Rowlands, Whiteleg and/or David Rowland and Son.
A S61N helicopter landing or taking off at the airport on St Mary's, Isles of Scilly. The airport is part of the golf course so games must be interrupted and the coastal footpath closed during these operations.
A photograph of an engine component for a model railway made by Bert Dyer of Mousehole.
A school girl in plaits is gazing at a finger post in Gulval.
An audience listens to one of the regular concerts held during the summer in Morrab Gardens, Penzance. The cast iron bandstand was built in 1905 with money donated by local coal merchant J H Bennett. It was renovated in 2004. In 2014 it does not host regular events but is used on special occasions.
The original inn, at the bottom of the main route to Penzance Harbour, had a courtyard and the front where the main bar is in 2012. During the 17th century, the old cellar (the dining room in 2012) was used by naval ratings. The tunnel emerges in what is the main bar and on up to the first floor where there is a Priests' Hole. The second floor was a fishermen's loft with two large doors onto the original courtyard. At the rear of the building was a Band Hall and a cell for drunks. In the 19th century the landlord was a Mr Holloway whose son founded the Royal Holloway College for women and the Holloway Sanitorium in Surrey.
It is by no means certain, but this photograph may show the inside of John Carter's house at Prussia Cove shortly before it was partly demolished and incorporated into Trenowls, built by Tunstall-Behrens in about 1905. This is one of a series of internal and external views taken around this allegedly notorious smuggler's haunt.
This is the kitchen of Mrs Mary Nance' cottage on St Mary's, Isles of Scilly. Wool production was an organised home industry which gave a respectable living to the islander. Gibson made an effort to record everyday happenings such as this so that the way of life would not be forgotten. The hide of the animal would be treated and made into clothing, shoes, buckets, etc. The flesh would be eaten, the bones and blood used as manure. Natural daylight illuminates the spinning wheel as oil to light lanterns was rather precious, and smelly. Another photographs shows Mary Nance carding the wool in preparation for spinning.
With St Michael's Mount and the Lizard in the background, this is a view of the remnants of the submerged forest in Mounts Bay, exposed during a Spring tide in 1890. The old name for St Michael's Mount was 'The Grey Rock in the Wood.'
A guide addressing tourists on the northern corner of the western battery of St Michaels Mount
A steam picket boat, her deck piled with loaves of bread is leaving Penzance Harbour 1904. Steam picket boats were carried by large ships such as armoured cruisers and battleships. There were several sizes of these boats including 15.25 metres (50' ) and 17.07 metres (56). The stern of the ship in front could be that of the Lyonnesse