Penlee House Gallery & Museum, Penzance
The artistic heart of West Cornwall's history

Photography

Sort by Title: (A-Z) | (Z-A)     or     sort by Date Acquired: Latest | Earliest     with Images | without Images
Search within Photography:

Scillonian II In High Town Harbour, Isles of Scilly

High Town Harbour, Isles of Scilly - centre background is moored the Scillonian ll, built Southampton and entered service in March1956. The contract price was £250,000 and was powered by 2 six cylinder, 4 stroke diesel enigines with a length of 208', beam 30' and draught of 14'.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

The Abby Gardens, Tresco

In 1834 Augustus Smith created a seventeen acre sub-tropical garden in the remains of the 12th century St.Nicholas Priory on Tresco. It developed into a 17 acre garden with plants from all over the world, including the tallest Norfolk Island Pines in Great Britain. In 2104 these terraced, sub-tropical Tresco Abbey Garden house a spectacular collection of 20,000 plants that wouldn't survive even in Cornwall, under 30 miles away and attract thousands of visitors every year.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Opuntia Cactus Growing On Tresco

This is the Opuntia cactus cultivated in the Abbey Gardens on Tresco Isles of Scilly.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

RNLB Cunard, The Isles of Scilly Lifeboat

RNLB Cunard performed 34 rescue operations (shouts) saving 117 lives. She was stationed at St Mary's from 1930 to 1953. Cox Matt Lethbridge Senior joined the lifeboat crew in 1924. His son Matt Lethbridge, who was appointed coxwain in July 1956, is pictured third from the left. His uncle, Richard Lethbridge is on the right.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Truro Railway Station In The Early 20th Century

Truro Station was opened on 4 May 1859. The West Cornwall Railway Company entered Truro Station with its standard gauge line. The Cornwall Railway, running to Saltash, was broad gauge. Therefore goods had to be transferred from one train to another at Truro. The buildings on the downside of Truro Station were authorised on 18 November 1896 aand completed in 1900 at a cost of over £7,000.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

A British Airways Helicopter G-BDES, The S61N On An Outward Flight To The Isles of Scilly

No records exist for this aircraft, S61N G BDES. Its maiden flight was on 7 August 1962. It was optimised for overwater operations by retaining floats. It was used between Penzance and the Isles of Scilly for many years.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

A S61N Helicopter Landing Or Taking Off At The Airport On St Mary's, Isles of Scilly

A S61N helicopter landing or taking off at the airport on St Mary's, Isles of Scilly. The airport is part of the golf course so games must be interrupted and the coastal footpath closed during these operations.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

The Queen Margaret Lying Shipwrecked Off The Lizard

Seen here listing badly before sinking, the four masted barque with a cargo of wheat, Queen Margaret, left Sydney for Falmouth on 17 January 1913. On 13 May she signalled the Lizard Signal Station for orders and was told to make for Limerick. Her captain requested a tug. Whilst waiting for a reply, the ship grounded on Maenheere Rock. The ship was a total loss. Her crew were saved by the Lizard lifeboat.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

The Paris At Lowland Point

The Paris grounded at Lowland Point on the Lizard on 21 May 1899. The vessel was refloated later. A tug and salvage vessel can be seen beside the ship.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

The Wreck of SS Mosel Off Bash Point, The Lizard

The wreck of SS Mosel off Bash Point, The Lizard which occurred on 9 August 1899

Acquisition date: --

view details >

The 'Danzig' Aground At Mulvin Rock

The motor tanker Danzig struck Mulvin Rock on the Lizard on 20 June 1925 while on passage from Venezuela to Hamburg with a cargo of crude oil. The vessel was salvaged and refloated.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Salvaging The Bardic

A coaster is alongside the 8000 ton Bardic to lighten its load as it is being pumped out. One of her lifeboats is slung out. One of the White Star Line, she had sailed from Sydney on 6 August 1924 with a cargo of meat. She arrived at Liverpool on 26 August and discharged part of her cargo before sailing for London on 30 August. She was grounded at Maenheere in thick fog on 31 August. The crew were rescued by the Lizard lifeboat. Forty four of the 93 crew returned to work the refrigerators. On 8 September the crew were taken off. She was re-floated on 29 September and towed to Falmouth. The cargo of rotting meat was dumped in a St Day mineshaft. Renamed Greek Marathon, she was sunk by the German battle cruiser Scharnart off the Cape Verdi Islands on 9 March 1941.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Wharf Road, St Ives From The West Pier

The view towards Wharf Road. In the centre is the band stand built in 1933 overhanging the harbour.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

A Man Is Rescued From The Wreck of The City of Cardiff By The Sennen Lifesaving Apparatus

The City of Cardiff left Le Havre in ballast for Cardiff on 6 March 1912. She anchored near Lands End but was driven ashore. She hit rocks at Nanjizel about a mile from Land's End. The crew, Mrs Storey the Captain's wife, Mrs Bethke the Chief Officer's wife and her two year old son were rescued by Sennen life saving apparatus. The ship subsequently broke up. This photograph shows the breeches buoy in use.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

The Alba Bound From Barry Dock In Wales To Civitavecchia

The picture shows the Panamanian steamer 'Alba' wrecked at Porthmeor Beach, St Ives on 31 January 1938. The motor lifeboat Caroline Parsons was wrecked after taking off the 23 Hungarian and Yugoslavian crew. When the lifeboat capsized, all were thrown into the water and all except five of the crew of the Alba were rescued by locals who waded into the sea. The wreck was broken up for salvage, the coal was redistributed around St Ives and the boilers remain on Porthmeor Beach in 2011. The ship was bound from Barry Docks to Civitavecchia with coal. Had they stayed abord, the crew could have walked ashore at low tide.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Wreck of The St Ives Lifeboat Caroline Parsons

The picture shows the Panamanian steamer 'Alba' wrecked at Porthmeor Beach, St Ives on 31 January 1938. The motor lifeboat Caroline Parsons was wrecked after taking off the 23 Hungarian and Yugoslavian crew. When the lifeboat capsized, all were thrown into the water and all except five of the crew of the Alba were rescued by locals who waded into the sea. The wreck was broken up for salvage, the coal was redistributed around St Ives and the boilers remain on Porthmeor Beach in 2011. The ship was bound from Barry Docks to Civitavecchia with coal. Had they stayed abord, the crew could have walked ashore at low tide.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

The Flowergate Stranded On Porthminster Beach In June 1946

SS Schildturm was built at Geestmunde, Germany in June 1911 for the Hansa Company. In August 1914 she was seized by the Belgian Navy. In October 1914 she was recaptured by Germany. In1919 she was brought to Britain as a war prize. In 1921 she was bought by Turnbull Scott and renamed Flowergate. In 1941 she was sold to C Strubin and Company of London. In June 1944 she was scuttled as a blockship, Gooseberry No 3 at Arromanches. In 1946 she was refloated and when being towed to the scrapyard, was beached at St Ives in the June. In July 1946 she was beached at Mumbles. She was towed to Briton Ferry on the River Neath between Swansea and Port Talbot and scrapped by T Ward Ltd.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Ye Olde Wooden Mangle

The mangle was invented in 1850 by Robert Tasker of Lancashire. The name moulded on the top of this is Edwin Lawrey, Ironmongers. Folded washing would be fed through the rollers using the wheel on the side. Water would be squeezed out into a bowl on the shelf beneath and re-used. Pressure could be adjusted using the top screw. This was hard work but saved a lot of drying and cut down on ironing. The appliance could also be used for crushing apples for cider making.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Black And White Photograph

This Roman urn was trawled up off the Longships on 2 April 1931. This kind of amphora was used for wine or olive oil, the pointed foot enabling it to stand on soft ground.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

The Log Breakwater On Tolcarne Beach, Newlyn

The line of wooden posts were installed as a sea defence at Tolcarne.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

The Log Breakwater On Tolcarne Beach, Newlyn

The line of wooden posts were installed as a sea defence at Tolcarne.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Newlyn From The Hills

This view from Newlyn towards Penzance shows considerable development at Tolcarne on the left. The War Memorial on Battery Rocks is clearly visible so it would suggest the picture was taken between 1919 and the development of the Gwavas Estate in the 1930.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Newlyn Fields Before 1893

The view from above Newlyn across Lidden fields looking towards Penzance shows the second hedge which became Carne Road. The houses comprise Alexandra Terrace. Middle right is the Serpentine Works with Harvey' Saw Mill adjacent and Bodily's Mill opposite. Predominating is the New Road between Penzance and Newlyn.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Newlyn Lidden Fields

Viewed from Newlyn across Lidden fields looking towards Penzance, the houses nearest the bottom of the picture comprise Carne Road. Sailing boats can be seen above the middle right with the Serpentine Works along the shoreline.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Newlyn From Devil's Rock

Devil’s Rock or Le Grice’s Folly is a large rock situated above St Peter’s Church with a steep drop below it. The water in the harbour is calm. In 2104 the large solid houses in the middle of the picture are used for the fish trade, the pilchard works to their left has been turned into accommodation. The scene in 2014 has hardly changed

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Menu
Logo