Penlee House Gallery & Museum, Penzance
The artistic heart of West Cornwall's history

Photography

Sort by Title: (A-Z) | (Z-A)     or     sort by Date Acquired: Latest | Earliest     with Images | without Images
Search within Photography:

Baltic Barquentine At The Western Wharf, Penzance Harbour

A three masted Baltic timber barque, a typical vessel used in the trade between Baltic and Penzance in the 1920s and 1930s, lies against the western wharf. The lookout cupola window has been removed from the apex of the Harbour Office roof. The weighbridge with whitewashed guard stones is between the road and the harbour office. The shed on the eastern arm of the floating dock was erected in World Ward 1 as a shelter for Royal Naval personnel, their main office being in the gatehouse of Holman's Dock. A smaller hut was in place there from about 1900.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

S S Oakford Discharges Coal Alongside The Dock Wharves At Penzance

At Penzance floating dock, SS Oakford is discharging coal alongside steamers and steam drifters in Penzance harbour in about 1910. On the left, a stevedore is running the plank. On the right a steam piston is being discharged.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Penzance Floating Dock Soon After Completion In 1844

It is high noon, high summer in Penzance harbour. A three masted steamer, possibly Messrs Bazeley's Stockton of 1882 to 1897, is under repair in Mathews's dry dock. Possibly a Trinity House steamer lies almost hidden from view alongside the eastern arm of the dock

Acquisition date: --

view details >

The View Over The Floating Dock Towards St Mary's Parish Church

A very trim steamer lies alongside the north arm of the dock - possibly a Trinity House steam lighthouse and buoy tender. It could be a steam yacht. Note that here are no buildings on the new docks or dock men's hut on the pier head.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Penzance Wet Dock From The Extension Pier

This is Penzance Wet Dock from the parapet of Extension Pier. There are no railings around the dock heads, but two small cranes are in place for handling the dock gate braces which were necessary to anchor the dock gates as they were found to lift off their hinges in heavy seas. This exposure was made between the completion of the third and central pitch roof covering the Dry dock's stores, foundry, machine shops and general engineering facility sand the building of rank's Granary on the Eastern arm of the dock - about 1934 to 1935. The middle roof section was the final part of the dry dock improvement in 1933.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

The Pioneer Off The Extension Pier At Penzance

Alongside the Union Flag, the flag on the mast reads ‘Logan (Rock) and Penberth Cove’. PZ277 Pioneer was a steamboat built by W Paynter of St Ives for Henry Hendy. Originally 36.6’ x 9.1’ x 3.8’, she was rebuilt in October 1906 to 43’ x 9.8’ x 4.8’, weighing 16.5 tons. Her steam engine was replaced by diesel in 1947. She was bought by Cyril Gascoigne and renamed Buccaneer in March 1977. She was bought by Jim Richards of Marazion, rebuilt and in 2014 is still being sailed. The dress of the passengers would suggest a hot summers day in the 1920s or 1930. Presumably Nanny is in charge of the baby on the quay.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Site of The Anchor Inn, The Barbican, In 1916

This is the West entrance and the North side with the North wall terminating above the repaired roof. It is coped with cement on the face, rendered and rough cast on completion of the removal of the Anchor Inn. The rough cast is removed to the doorway which opened that end after work was delayed and stopped by the Borough Surveyor.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Captain McKenzie's Motor Garage

Back wall of Captain McKenzie's Motor Garage, 1922

Acquisition date: --

view details >

War Memorial And St Michael's Mount And Battery Rocks, From The Promenade Penzance

From the left you can see railings of the Penzance promenade; Sandy Cove; Batten’s Wharf; Battery Rocks; St Michael’s Mount; the 1922 Penzance War Memorial; land in the background leading to the Lizard Peninsula. In 1740 Penzance Corporation built a fort on Battery Rocks at a cost of £200.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

St Anthony Gardens And The Jubilee Bathing Pool, Penzance

St Anthony is the patron saint of fishermen and it was on the rocks to the left of the picture that it is believed there was a fisherman's chapel in the eleventh century. Known as Pen Sans in Cornish, Holy Headland in English, it gave a name to the town of Penzance. Stones from this chapel are in evidence in the gardens in 2011 and its cross is in St Mary's churchyard. The gardens were built in 1933 as part of the national slum clearances on the former Battery Square. The Jubilee Pool was built in 1935 as an art deco lido.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

The Promenade, Penzance

L-r: Queen's Hotel; Captain's Row; St Mary's Church; Battery Rocks. The dress would suggest the 1940s.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

The Keigwin Arms, Mousehole

This building is a good example of a surviving 16th century house. Being involved in the pilchard trade,the family moved to Mousehole from Pendeen in the middle of the 16th century. Jenkin Keigwin was killed during the Spanish invasion of 1595 and this house was said to be the only one to survive the Spanish invasion. In 1664 William Keigwin bought the Manor of Alverton from the Daniel family. In the late 18th century the building became an inn. In the 20th century it reverted to a house. In 2012 the building and outbuildings offer private accommodation.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Penzance Indoor Swimming Pool

Penzance indoor swimming pool which was situated on the Promenade close to the bottom of Alexandra Road

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Peace Arch At Wherrytown

The assembly at Peace Arch, Wherrytown, 1919 is shown after a march through Penzance to mark the Armistice at end of 1914 - 1918 war. The three services were represented. The houses to the left are Coastguard Row while those to the right were demolished after 1962 Ash Wednesday storm.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Bedford Bolitho Gardens, Penzance

The Bedford Bolitho Gardens, Penzance, with Alexandra Terrace in background which were built on the site of the former Serpentine Works, Wherrytown re-using much of the stone. The gardens were destroyed by Ash Wednesday storm fifty years later in 1962

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Robin Bolitho Gardens, Penzance Promenade In The 1920s

This image taken in Robins Bolitho Gardens, looking towards Bedford Bolitho Gardens

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Bolitho Gardens, Penzance Promenade

The Robin Bolitho Gardens, sometimes called the Foster Bolitho Gardens, Penzance Promenade. Alexandra Terrace is in the background with what was the Bolitho Nursing Home to the left. Opened in 1912 on what had been an industrial wasteland, these gardens were destroyed in the Ash Wednesday Storm of 1962.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

View From Battery Rocks

These four crabbers are probably from Camaret. They are at anchor with their mainsails and topsails set which suggests they are working out of Newlyn. Three of their punts are out, perhaps coming ashore. Before 1914 many crabbers were black.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Sailing Model Boats At The The Rotary Boating Pool, Penzance

The Rotary Boating Pool at Wherrytown comprises two pools connected by a stream from Madron. It was opened on 5 August 1955 by the Mayor, Alderman Miss Agatha Chirgwin. In 2015 it is still a popular venue for model boat operators.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Penzance Boating Pool Opening Ceremony, 1955

The Rotary Boating Pool at Wherrytown comprises two pools connected by a stream. It was opened on 5 August 1955 by the Mayor, Alderman Miss Agatha Chirgwin. In 2015 it is still a popular venue for model boat operators.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Penzance Boating Pool Opening Ceremony, 1955

Sailing boats at the Boating Pool, Wherrytown, Penzance

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Wherry Town Mine In Mounts Bay

This is a photograph of a Wherry Town Mine shaft situated out to sea between Penzance and Newlyn, exposed during a very low tide . Built in 1778 by Thomas Curtis of Breage, the mine shaft was protected by a stone breakwater. Thomas Gundry erected a steam engine on shore to facilitate lifting of the ore from the mine workings. Operations ceased in 1798 when an American vessel anchored in the bay, broke its moorings and crashed into it, demolishing the head gear. It re-opened in the 1830s but closed again in 1840.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

The Remains of Staging Timbers of The Wherry Town Mine In Mounts Bay Exposed At Low Tide

This is the remains of staging timbers near the old shaft of Wherry Town Mine. Built in 1778 by Thomas Curtis of Breage, the mine shaft was protected by a stone breakwater. Thomas Gundry erected a steam engine on shore to facilitate lifting of the ore from the mine workings. Operations ceased in 1798 when an American vessel anchored in the bay, broke its moorings and crashed into and demolished the head gear. It re-opened in the 1830s but closed again in 1840.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

The Bedford Bolitho Gardens, Penzance

Here are the Bedford Bolitho Gardens, built on site of former Serpentine Works, showing shelters and also the 'Shell House' at far end of gardens decorated in sea shells. The canon featured in middle ground was to be melted down during World War II

Acquisition date: --

view details >

J Champion's Saloon Brake Outside Marine Hotel, Penzance

J Champion's Saloon Brake is outside the Marine Hotel, Penzance being prepared to leave for Land's End via Logan Rock. The driverriver is Mr Fred Bassett.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Menu
Logo