Penzance Harbour Scene (late 1880s) – The yawl rigged yacht Oenanthe, is berthed on the south wall of Penzance Floating Dock, and by the half-tide water level the dock gates are open. This Southampton built (1883), 21 ton yacht, was owned initially by Robert V. Asser, Belvedere Park, Kent - a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron. In the era of this photo, Penzance lay at the extreme SW extent of the range of most British cruising yachts – which were usually based on one of the English Channel yachting ports. Only the more intrepid ventured further west than Land’s End – though some of these ventured into Irish and even Scottish waters.
A photograph of the east end of the Tresco Abbey at Tresco, the Isles of Scilly. Built in 1834 by Augustus Smith, who had come from Hertfordshire and taken up the position of Lord Proprietor, leaseholder of the islands. The location is just above the ruins of St Nicholas Priory, which had fallen into disrepair in the sixteenth century, part of which can be seen to the right of the photograph. The square tower to the right was built by Augustus' successor and nephew, Thomas Algernon. In front of the building is the pool, which has a small wooden boat sitting on the shallow bank to the right.
The 'Duke of Cumberland' was built in 1822 on a site known as 70 Causewayhead. The first publican was William James. John Hutchens ran the inn from 1873 until 1893. Alfred Frost became the publican in 1919. Note the advertising posters for saddle, horse, dog cart, phaeton, and pony hire.
Registered in the Isle of Wight between December 1903 to October 1935, this solid tyre vehicle could be a Milnes-Daimler. This model has no windscreen or windows so was probably only used in summer to convey tourists on day trips from Penzance Station and for village outings and staff days out.
The picture shows the pre dreadnought battleship HMS Royal Oak of the Home Fleet's 2nd in command in Mounts Bay in August 1904. This is not the HMS Royal Oak which was torpedoed at Scapa Flow in 1939; this one was scrapped in 1914. During the 1904 visit, HMS Barfleur and Canopy collided. A stoker aboard HMS Drake died of TB and during boat drill the carpenter from HMS Swiftsure was lost overboard. The steam from her funnel would indicate a rather windy day.
The picture shows the pre dreadnought battleship HMS Royal Oak of the Home Fleet's 2nd in command in Mounts Bay in August 1904. She has a hoist of flag signals on her main mast. This is not the HMS Royal Oak which was torpedoed at Scapa Flow in 1939; this one was scrapped in 1914. During the 1904 visit, HMS Barfleur and Canopy collided. A stoker aboard HMS Drake died of TB and during boat drill the carpenter from HMS Swiftsure was lost overboard.
3367 Evan Llewellyn stands at Platform 3 at Penzance Railway Station. The 3367 was built with a parallel boiler in February 1903 as 3419. It was fitted with a half cone boiler in March 1910 which was replaced with a full cone boiler in October 1911. In May 1913 it was reverted to a half cone boiler with a superheater. In May 1918 it was replaced with a full cone boiler. Its shed allocation was Goodwick in May 1922. Its last shed allocation was Bristol Street, Phillips Marsh. It was withdrawn in September 1935.
The Mayor, the relief station master and the NUR representative wave the Cornish Riviera Express out of Penzance Station on its 50th anniversay.
The view is of St Ives Harbour from Smeaton's Pier looking towards the Parish Church. The four yachts near the beach were used for day trips. In the foreground is a skiff, the Gig Benmythree SAS139 (1922-1937) is behind that, then the Excellent SS122 (1901) and the Perseverance SS40 (1887) which were motor mackerel fishing boats.
A smartly dressed lady admires a fruiting banana plant. This may have been a photograph for advertising material to entice tourists to the area to enjoy its mild climate.
J J Churchward was commissioned to take photographs for the official tourist guides to illustrate the gentle climate found in West Cornwall. This photograph of an unidentified lady holding the fruit on a banana tree, is thought to be in Morrab Gardens, Penzance. The tourist guides were designed to attract early visitors to experience the warmth and the early flower and extend the length of the tourist season to the late autumn. A precedent had been set when the Napoleonic wards brought tourists to the West Country rather than to the continent. Rail travel from the 1850s made the experience even more viable.
This sepia postcard shows the band of Suffragettes who had started out from Lands End on 19 June 1913 as one contingent from many all over the country who were to merge as one body of 66,000 women for a rally in Hyde Park. About 200 local women joined the march at Trereife crossroads but they were not allowed to march down Market Jew Street because it was Market Day. They marched up North Street and held a rally outside the cattle market which began in a dignified manner, the audience listening to the speaker, until someone decided to move the platform and the event turned into chaos. Therefore, it is likely that this picture was taken on the following day as the contingent made its way out of town. The shadow from the sun suggests a morning event. The way the 5 pennants are blowing would suggest an east head wind. The special carriage travelled with them all the way, the women largely travelling by horse drawn transport. The policeman riding behind is wearing a brass helmet. At 110 Market Jew Street can be seen the restaurant of W H Nankevis & Sons.
Penzance Harbour Scene (late 1880s) - A deep loaded, unidentified, barque in Penzance Floating Dock. Thought to be one of the many vessels bringing grain to Penzance for the local flour and cattle-feed mills – Branwell’s, Bodilly’s, or Coulson’s. The dock-side building to the left of her mizen mast was the ‘transit-shed,’ used by Bazeley’s Little Western Steamship Company’s for holding cargo for or from their coastal liners – taken over by Coast Lines in the early 1920s. Between the fore and main masts of the barque, can be seen the Penzance Custom House, with St. Mary’s church on the sky-line above. The dock-side buildings to the right being part of Mathews’ Sail Loft and Dry Dock premises – later N. Holman & Sons.
Skipper Michael Hosking is landing a basket of crabs from the Silver Harvester PZ622. She was the largest vessel to fish from Newlyn, having a long and successful career beam trawling and trawling for mackerel. She paired with Dew Genen PZ185, mackerel fishing off West Scotland in 1974 and landing at Ullapool in 1980. She was a Dutch beam trawler Jan Marsten ex Rose Marie registered as PZ622 Silver Harvester in 1982 and owned by Michael Hosking and Partners of Porthleven. She was decommissioned in 2002.
Skipper Michael Hosking is filling a basket of crabs on deck the Silver Harvester PZ622 by the Mary Williams Pier in Newlyn. She was the largest vessel to fish from Newlyn, having a long and successful career beam trawling and trawling for mackerel. She paired with Dew Genen PZ185, mackerel fishing off West Scotland in 1974 and landing at Ullapool in 1980. She was a Dutch beam trawler Jan Marsten ex Rose Marie registered as PZ622 Silver Harvester in 1982 and owned by Michael Hosking and Partners of Porthleven. She was decommissioned in 2002.