Penlee House Gallery & Museum, Penzance
The artistic heart of West Cornwall's history

Photography

Sort by Title: (A-Z) | (Z-A)     or     sort by Date Acquired: Latest | Earliest     with Images | without Images
Search within Photography:

Market Cross In Morrab Gardens

This picture shows two children sitting on a bench beside the Market Cross in the Morrab Gardens, Penzance cells. It stood in the Greenmarket for many years as a boundary stone for the town; it was then moved to the bottom of Causewayhead, where it served as a tethering post for pigs en route to the Bullock Market. In order to make it fit into the recess in the Market House, the inscription was chipped away. In 1925 it was moved into the Morrab Gardens and in 1952 found its resting place in Penlee Park. It reads, 'The Cross of King Ricatus.' The Cross bears more inscriptions than any other in Cornwall and, if and when deciphered, would be a valuable source of information on Penzance. Height 2.07m, width 0.64m, depth 0.24m The fountain is in the background as is St Mary's Terrace.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Market Cross In Morrab Gardens, Penzance

This picture shows the Market Cross outside west facing wall of the Market House, Penzance which housed a meat market, the council chambers and the town cells. It stood in the Greenmaket for many years as a boundary stone for the town; it was then moved to the bottom of Causewayhead, where it served as a tethering post for pigs en route to the Bullock Market. In order to make it fit into the recess in this picture, the inscription was chipped away. In 1925 it was moved into the Morrab Gardens and in 1952 found its resting place in Penlee Park near the original front entrance to the house. It was moved to outside the entrance to the museum in 1997. It reads, 'The Cross of King Ricatus.' The Cross bears more inscriptions than any other in Cornwall and, if and when deciphered, would be a valuable source of information on Penzance

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Black And White Photograph

Twenty nine children and two teachers pose for this class photograph taken around 1895. The girls wear smock tops, the boys, collars.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

The Unveiling of The War Memorial On Battery Rocks, Penzance On 14 May 1922

This is a picture postcard of the unveiling of the war memorial by, Mrs W E T Bolitho on Sunday 14 May 1922 in front of thousands of spectators. It is a granite obelisk on a granite base. Later, the names of those service people who died in the 2nd World War were added to those of the First shown here.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Bellair House, Alverton Road, Penzance

Bellair House was built in 1817 by Robert Richards who sold it to Miss Ann (Nancy) Borlase who married Michael Noel Peters in 1818. The 1841 shows the Peters in residence. It was home to the two much respected Dr Leslie and his son Dr Leslie in WW ll when it was destroyed in an air raid. The remains of the house were demolished to build an ambulance station and clinic. In 2015 it is home to the clinic and a building site.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

A Formal Photgraph of School Aged Girls

This is a formal photograph of a group of 26 healthy looking, well dressed young ladies,with possibly 2 teachers, the front row being seated. The age range of the girls is possibly seven to thirteen. The era could be Victorian or Edwardian. They all sport lace collars, some lace cuffs. These were detachable for laundering to save washing the whole dress. They all seem to have long hair which is clean, shiny and pulled off the face. The older ladies are obviously wearing whale bone corsets. Any help in identifying the location and people in this shot would be very welcome by the Museum.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Black And White Photograph

This is a group of 28 healthy looking and well dressed girls, possibly aged from seven to eleven, half of whom are seated. What appears to be a serious faced lady sits at the front with an older girl on the left at the back. It could be a school or a Sunday school group. There were several such establishments in Penzance at the turn of the 20th century. The length of the girls' skirts would indicate an Edwardian era but the lace scarves are rather Victorian. Any help in identifying this group and its location would be most welcome by the Museum.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

A Banana Tree Probably In Morrab Gardens, Penzance

A smartly dressed lady admires a fruiting banana plant. This may have been a photograph for advertising material to entice tourists to the area to enjoy its mild climate.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

A Banana Tree, Probably In Morrab Gardens, Penzance.

J J Churchward was commissioned to take photographs for the official tourist guides to illustrate the gentle climate found in West Cornwall. This photograph of an unidentified lady holding the fruit on a banana tree, is thought to be in Morrab Gardens, Penzance. The tourist guides were designed to attract early visitors to experience the warmth and the early flower and extend the length of the tourist season to the late autumn. A precedent had been set when the Napoleonic wards brought tourists to the West Country rather than to the continent. Rail travel from the 1850s made the experience even more viable.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

The Palm Avenue In Morrab Gardens, Penzance In 1926

This picture postcard shows the Palm Avenue in 1926. The Morrab Gardens is the first public garden in Cornwall. It is carefully tended by the local council gardeners and despite hosting rare and beautiful exotic plants all year around, is used and appreciated by local people and visitors of all ages on every day of the year. It provides colourful tranquillity in the heart of Penzance.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Two Ladies Stroll In The Sunshine In The Morrab Gardens, Penzance

An evening stroll in the tropical Morrab Gardens, the first public garden in Cornwall. It is carefully tended by the local council gardeners and despite hosting rare and beautiful exotic plants all year around, is used and appreciated by local people and visitors of all ages on every day of the year. It provides colourful tranquillity in the heart of Penzance. In 2013 the garden relies heavily on volunteers for gardening and fund raising. Please compare this will PEZPH 1989.1153 in which the trees are almost idetical, but the dress of an Edwardian age.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Edwardians Stroll Down The Avenue of Palms In The Sunshine of The Morrab Gardens

The Morrab Gardens is the first public garden in Cornwall. It is carefully tended by the local council gardeners and despite hosting rare and beautiful exotic plants all year around, is used and appreciated by local people and visitors of all ages on every day of the year. It provides colourful tranquillity in the heart of Penzance. This picture would seem to have been taken in an Edwardian era.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

A Silver Band Performance In Morrab Garden

An audience listens to one of the regular concerts held during the summer in Morrab Gardens, Penzance. The cast iron bandstand was built in 1905 with money donated by local coal merchant J H Bennett. It was renovated in 2004. In 2014 it does not host regular events but is used on special occasions.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

The Morrab Gardens, Penzance

The Morrab Gardens is the first public garden in Cornwall. It is carefully tended by the local council gardeners and despite hosting rare and beautiful exotic plants all year around, is used and appreciated by local people and visitors of all ages on every day of the year. It provides colourful tranquillity in the heart of Penzance.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

The Morrab Gardens, Penzance

The Morrab Gardens was the first public garden in Cornwall. It is carefully tended by the local council gardeners and despite hosting rare and beautiful exotic plants all year around, is used and appreciated by local people and visitors of all ages on every day of the year. It provides colourful tranquillity in the heart of Penzance and in 2014 no longer has the fence which must have been part of a scheme to 'Keep off the Grass.'

Acquisition date: --

view details >

A View Across The Morrab Gardens, Penzance

Flower beds and shrubberies in Morrab Gardens, Penzance, featuring tender and sub-tropical plants and trees.The Morrab Gardens is the first public garden in Cornwall. It is carefully tended by the local council gardeners and despite hosting rare and beautiful exotic plants all year around, is used and appreciated by local people and visitors of all ages on every day of the year. It provides colourful tranquillity in the heart of Penzance.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

A View Across The Morrab Gardens, Penzance

The Morrab Gardens is the first public garden in Cornwall. It is carefully tended by the local council gardeners and despite hosting rare and beautiful exotic plants all year around, is used and appreciated by local people and visitors of all ages on every day of the year. It provides colourful tranquillity in the heart of Penzance.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

The Bandstand In The Morrab Gardens, Penzance

The Morrab Gardens is the first public garden in Cornwall. It is carefully tended by the local council gardeners and despite hosting rare and beautiful exotic plants all year around, is used and appreciated by local people and visitors of all ages on every day of the year. It provides colourful tranquillity in the heart of Penzance. The cast iron bandstand, donated by local coal merchant J H Bennett, was opened on 5 August 1905. The celebration included a grand concert by the Penzance Military Band. the bandstand was renovated in 2004.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Penzance, The Park

Female figures pose in the morning sun and it is time to admire the rapidity with which the gardens have taken shape since its opening in 1889. Many local people contributed to the initial planting. The Morrab Gardens is the first public garden in Cornwall. In 2012 it is carefully tended by the local council gardener and volunteers, and despite hosting rare and beautiful exotic plants all year around, is used and appreciated by local people and visitors of all ages on every day of the year. It provides a haven of colourful tranquillity in the heart of Penzance.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Cherry Blossom, Morrab Gardens, Penzance.

An unidentified lady admires the cherry blossom in Morab Gardens, Penzance. This photograph is one of a series of spring images taken by J.J. Churchward taken for the town’s tourist guide. The Morrab Gardens is the first public garden in Cornwall. It is carefully tended by the local council gardeners and despite hosting rare and beautiful exotic plants all year around, is used and appreciated by local people and visitors of all ages on every day of the year. It provides colourful tranquillity in the heart of Penzance.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Morrab Gardens, Penzance Looking Towards Morrab Terrace

The Morrab Gardens is the first public garden in Cornwall. It is carefully tended by the local council gardeners and despite hosting rare and beautiful exotic plants all year around, is used and appreciated by local people and visitors of all ages on every day of the year. It provides colourful tranquillity in the heart of Penzance. This picture is at the bottom of the garden looking towards St Mary's Terrace. Note the dracaenae on the right.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Black And White Photograph

Richard and either Norah or Agatha Chirgwin pictured with toy pony and dead cart. Norah was born in 1896, Agatha in 1897 and Richard in 1901.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Paul Church In The Early 20th Century

The church tower was built in the early 25th century and because, of its elevated position,became a sea-mark for shipping. The beacon turret possibly allowed for fires or beacons to be lit in case of potential invasion. A message relayed in this way is reputed to reach London in 20 minutes. The height of the beacon is 33.22 metres 109 ft. The Church was burned by the Spaniards who landed in Mousehole in July 1595.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

The Railway Viaduct At Chyandour, Penzance

This is the view from Chyandour showing where the wooden trestles end, and the stone piers were built from the Chyandour River into Penzance Railway Station by the Albert Pier. Flat roofed Ponsandane signal box is right of centre in the background. The entrance to Ponsandane House is the gap in the trees top left. The viaduct was opened in August 1852 and is 317 metres (347 yards) long. In December 1852 it suffered storm damage and was swept away completely in January 1869. It was rebuilt and in situ until the sea wall was built in 1921.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

The Railway Line On The Beach At Chyandour

View of the Chyandour railway viaduct with the temporary rail line running along the beach to carry stone for the construction of the new sea wall. The new sea defences and sea wall were constructed in 1919-1921 from granite blocks quarried in Princetown, Dartmoor and Penryn.

Acquisition date: --

view details >

Menu
Logo