Members of the Penzance Tennis Club form a guard of honour with their racquets for their Captain and Honorary Secretary. Far left: John Leity; Second left: Brian Thomas; Far right: Betty Laity; second right: Joan Thomas; third right (slightly hidden): Helen Thomas.
The Western Union Fleet anchored in Mounts Bay from 30 June to 4 July 1949. With 109 units of the combined Western Union Fleet in Mounts Bay, thousands of visitors came to Penzance to see the ships – and the girls turned up at the harbour for a closer look at the sailors. For the first time, British, French, Dutch and Belgian warships took part in a combined naval exercise under an over-all-command. Here, 7 girls sitting on the harbour wall and dressed for a hot summer's day, greet 11 British sailors. The bikini, second left, was a new item of fashion. The 2 girls on the right are dressed identically down to the peep toe shoes.
Welded steel pump bracket for marine engine
Situated in Heamoor, north of Penzance, the pulpit of the present chapel stands on a rock which was in the centre of common land in the village where John Wesley is said to have preached. A marble tablet is attached to the rock confirming this story. The Chapel pictured here was built in 1842 on land given by the late Harry Pengelly. The chapel has since been rebuilt.
To the left of the title can be seen a name card for the person renting that particular pew. This Wesleyan Chapel at St Just in Penwith was built in 1833, the north side finished in 1841, on mining waste ground. It was enlarged in 1860, renovated in 1930. It can seat 1,000 but on the day of its opening, upwards of 1,200 people attended the service. The design is standard. Originally it was intended that the street outside should be made up of houses of grand design and proportion to provide a suitable approach to the Chapel. The ceiling rose is an air vent. In 2014 this Chapel is still open.
Dr Phillips (right) laughs as the Sister from the Maternity Ward is seized by a man standing beneath the mistletoe
The eight bedded West Cornwall Infirmary and Dispensary opened on the site of the former prison and workhouse in 1871. A mark below the third chimney to the right says 1905 but a new hospital building was opened in 1907. In 1929 it was renamed the West Cornwall Hospital. Union Terrace was demolished in 1961 to make way for the Pendarves Flat complex.
A lady kneels by a stream or a pond holding a bush which is flourishing. Penhaul took many photographs for Penzance tourism guides. Penzance was promoted as a tourist area from Napoleonic times; it was helped by the advent of the railway; it was advertised as a place for all year around holidays because of its mild climate.
The Redwing is a classic klinker built dinghy with Bermuda rig, no spinnaker but with a trapeze and a crew of two. The length is 4.27 metres (14' ). The first eight, designed by Uffa Fox, were built in 1938. Looe Sailing Club has a fleet of them.
The Redwing is a classic klinker built dinghy with Bermuda rig, no spinnaker but with a trapeze and a crew of two. The length is 4.27 metres (14' ). The first eight, designed by Uffa Fox, were built in 1938. In 2012 Looe Sailing Club has a fleet of them.
'Osprey' and 'Redwing' sailing boats off St Michaels Mount
Photograph of the west side of Penlee House, looking north towards the walled garden.
A photograph of Penlee House (west side), with the lawn in front. In the right hand window of the drawing room can be seen Marion Mudge, nee Branwell, third daughter of JR and Elizabeth Branwell, who lived at Penlee House. A manual lawnmower stands in the foreground with a wicker basket.