Penlee House Gallery & Museum, Penzance
The artistic heart of West Cornwall's history

Photography

Sort by Title: (A-Z) | (Z-A)     or     sort by Date Acquired: Latest | Earliest     with Images | without Images
Search within Photography:

Visit of HRH Princess Anne To Penzance

HRH Princess Anne with Mayor, Dr. W.J. Turney

view details >

Visit of HRH Princess Anne To Penzance

HRH Princess Anne and her party are being shown around the maritime museum in Chapel Street by Mr. Roland Morris, owner

view details >

Visit of HRH Princess Anne To Penzance

HRH Princess Anne and her party are visiting Tremaen Pottery. Peter Ellery shows HRH some of the lamp bases made there.

view details >

Visit of HRH Princess Anne To Penzance

HRH Princess Anne and her party are visiting Tremaen Pottery. Peter Ellery presents HRH with one of the lamp bases made there.

view details >

Visit of HRH Princess Anne To Penzance

HRH Princess Anne with Mayor, Dr. W.J. Turney

view details >

Visitors To HMS Warspite

Visitors on HMS Warspite (l-r) workman, Cecil Francis St.Aubyn (Lord St.Levan), Giles St.Aubyn, Piers St.Aubyn. Having broken her tow to the breaker's yard, HMS Warspite grounded ashore at Prussia Cove on 23 April 1947, she was refloated on the next day's tide.

view details >

Voluntary Emergency Services Carry Out A De-contamination Drill

Five men in protective gear with one operating a fire hydrant on the pavement, outside the Magistrates Court at the eastern end of St John's Hall together with an unidentified man in a suit, thought to be Mr Williams, Head Gardener at Penlee House, with a suitcase marked with 'DANGER'. This would appear to be the end of a drill during WW2. In the top right hand corner is the 'stepped' exterior of the St John's Ambulance Brigade building. Part of the sign for the Rates Office is above the door on the left and the back of the support vehicle is in the background adjacent to the sign for the car park.

view details >

W & S, Penlee Lifeboat

W and S lifeboat, with passengers, approaching Mousehole harbour. Cox Eddie Madron (coxswain), 2nd from left; Jack Worth (second coxswain) behind wheel; Owen Ladner behind funnel; Arnold Gartrell at bow. The RNLI flag flies from the masthead. The W and S was a Watson (cabin) motor lifeboat stationed at Penlee Point from 1931 to 1960. She replaced the Watson (open) motor lifeboat The Brothers and was herself replaced by the Solomon Browne. In a fresh south westerly wind, a wave-dashed St Clement's Isle fills the background. On one day a year local branches of the RNLI held a 'lifeboat day' to thank the volunteers and to raise funds - trips on the lifeboat were often offered.

view details >

W And S Lifeboat, The W And S At Mousehole

W and S lifeboat, with passengers on board, comes alongside the south (old) quay at Mousehole harbour. The coxswain is E Madron; Jack Worth, bowman, is placing the forward fender prior to landing.

view details >

W B Michell, 10 Market Place

New shop front of WB Michell 10 Market Place. Part of the 1919 sign showing W B Michell and Son is displayed in the Penlee House Museum together with the large glass panel from the doorway advertising ‘Wedding presents, Souvenirs, Novelties in jewellery, watches and clocks’, engraved in gold. The shop, selling jewellery, clocks, watches, cut glass, sports cups, salvers, cutlery, etc. was a landmark site from 1897 until 1986. Such small businesses defined Penzance as a market town in the 19th and 20th centuries. Photograph 2006.54 shows clearly the gas lamp outside the shop. Offices are on the first floor with a store at the back; above that a resident watchmaker worked in the corner section with a workshop being above the offices. During World War II, a large bomb landed opposite the shop destroying Poole’s Brewery, which in 2014 is the Greenmarket Car Park, blowing out half of the windows and destroying the plaster and some of the roof.

view details >

W B Michell, 10 Market Place

William B Michell outside his shop at 10 Market Place. He purchased the shop to the right and photograph 2006.53 shows the new shop front. Part of the 1919 sign showing W B Michell and Son is displayed in the Penlee House Museum together with the large glass panel from the doorway advertising ‘Wedding presents, Souvenirs, Novelties in jewellery, watches and clocks’, engraved in gold. The shop, selling jewellery, clocks, watches, cut glass, sports cups, salvers, cutlery, etc. was a landmark site from 1897 until 1986. Such small businesses defined Penzance as a market town in the 19th and 20th centuries. Photograph 2006.54 shows clearly the gas lamp outside the shop. Offices are on the first floor with a store at the back; above that a resident watchmaker worked in the corner section with a workshop being above the offices. During World War Two,a large bomb landed opposite the shop destroying Poole’s Brewery, which in 2014 is the Greenmarket Car Park, blowing out half of the windows and destroying the plaster and some of the roof.

view details >

W N Bassett, Tobacconist And Cigar Merchant

This is a sunny view of front of Bassett, Cigar Merchant, 12 Market Place, Penzance. Meek's furniture shop to the left also celebrated 100 years in business. Note the observatory on its roof. In 2015 the old tobacconist's is a cafe and Meek's houses offices for the Cornishman newspaper, a cafe and offices.

view details >

Walter Langley

This is a photographic portrait of Walter Langley, taken in the studio of Elliott and Fry photographers.

view details >

Walter Langley In His Studio

Walter Langley, 1852 to 1922, is sitting and smiling, palette and brushes in hand before his painting of The Orphan. He painted this in 1888; it was first exhibited in Newcastle in 1889. His studio was by the harbour in Newlyn. The lady sitting on the stool was the great grandmother of the researcher. She was Annie Collins, nee Cocking, who was a charwoman of Paul Parish. The child was the researcher's mother, Ascenath Mary Symons. In 2011 the painting was in a private collection but it has been exhibited at the Penlee House Museum.

view details >

War Memorial And St Michael's Mount And Battery Rocks, From The Promenade Penzance

From the left you can see railings of the Penzance promenade; Sandy Cove; Batten’s Wharf; Battery Rocks; St Michael’s Mount; the 1922 Penzance War Memorial; land in the background leading to the Lizard Peninsula. In 1740 Penzance Corporation built a fort on Battery Rocks at a cost of £200.

view details >

Warship's Boat Hoisting Sail

Warship's boat hoisting sail

view details >

Warship's Boat Leaving Penzance Harbour With The Ship's Mail

Warship's tender leaving Penzance harbour with the ship's mail. The cutter has 12 oars, and has her ship's badge painted on the bow. There appears to be 16 people aboard.

view details >

Warspite

HMS Warspite ran aground at Prussia Cove on 23 April 1947, having broken her tow to the breaker's yard. There is a distress flare on the stern. She was refloated on the next day's tide.

view details >

Warspite

HMS Warspite broke away from the salvage tow taking her to a breaker's yard. After running aground at Prussia Cove on 23 April 1947 she was refloated on the next day's tide. She is pictured here with a salvage crane on board being broken up in Mounts Bay. This process took over five years.

view details >

Warspite

HMS Warspite at Prussia Cove Having broken her tow to the breaker's yard, HMS Warspite ran aground at Prussia Cove on 23 April 1947. There is a distress flare on the stern. HMS Warspite broke away from the salvage tow taking her to a breaker's yard. She was refloated on the next day's tide.

view details >

Warspite Ashore At Prussia Cove 23.4.47

The Warspite was a battleship with a distinguished career which had broken adrift whilst being towed to the breaker's yard. The picture shows it striking Mopus Ledge. The following morning's tide lifted it off and drove it towards Prussia Cove.

view details >

Watched From Above, Two Sailors Pose Aboard The Sailing Dinghy "Squall" At Smeaton's Pier, St Ives

Watched from above, two sailors pose aboard the sailing dinghy "Squall" at Smeaton's Pier, St Ives

view details >

Water Tower At Rosudgeon

Water tower sited in Rosudgeon. Still standing in 2017. Has acquired 300mm Communication Dishes ("Sky dishes") and a mobile phone antennae since this photograph.

view details >

Watercolour Miniature of Humphry Davy By John Jackson, RA, Based On Full Size Portrait At The Royal Society, 1823

Photograph of the watercolour miniature by John Jackson, RA, based on full size portrait at the Royal Society, 1823 showing Humphry Davy in his prime. Davy was knighted in 1812 and became a baronet in 1818 with the title Davy of Grosvenor Square. In the period 1820s he was the Royal Society's president. His major achievement, though not without controversy, was to professionalise the Royal Society by replacing gentlemen amateurs with scientists. His father was a carpenter from Ludgvan; his mother, Grace Millet, came from Bosavern, St Just. As a young man, Davy developed a love of the open air, reflected in his poetic literary style. After an apprenticeship with his apothecary uncle, in 1798 he joined the Pneumatic Institute in Bristol rapidly developing experiments on gases. He was appointed a lecturer at the Royal Institution in 1802; a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1804; identified potassium and sodium in 1807; calcium in 1808 and was knighted in 1812. In 1916 he was awarded the Runford Medal for design of the miners' safety lamp. His apprentice was Michael Faraday.

view details >

Wayside Cross, Madron, Cornwall

At grid reference NG454314 on a footpath, 250m up from Boscathnoe Lane, Heamoor, half-way up the second of three fields, stands Wayside Cross. It is a pillar cross on the footpath, 750m south of Madron Church, and is typical of a wayside cross - a route marker to Madron Church. Stone crosses originated in the 9th Century and were set along traditional paths to church.

view details >

Menu
Logo