Aerial view of the Western Union Fleet on the last day of the exercise, which had anchored in Moun'ts Bay from 30 June to 4 July 1949. In the left foreground are three destroyers. To left of centre is the battleship Anson with the fleet carriers Implacable and Victorious in the centre. In the background are the cruisers Superb, Cleopatra, and Diadem.
Agatha Chirgwin, Mayor, address the councillors in the council chamber
A carte de visite of Agnes Rachel Michell (known as Rachel), sister to Grace and cousin to Clara Langebear (see PEZPH : 1998.207.19) and a friend of JR Branwell and his family, who lived at Penlee House. She has short hair and wears a velvet top or dress with a high white collar. Below is printed 'A. Letalle' and 'Birmingham'. An advertisement for the photographer is printed on the reverse : 'A. Letalle (From Paris)'
The Italian 4,538 ton steamer Aida Lauro was wrecked in thick fog a mile North West of St Just on Castle Point near Pendeen on 1 July 1937. The St Ives lifeboat Caroline Parsons rescued 15 of her crew, the remainder came ashore in the ship’s boats. At St Ives Mrs Quirina Ninnis interpreted for the crew
This is a picture of Alexandra Road, Penzance opened by Princess Alexandra, the Danish wife of the future Edward VII on 24 July 1865. The well established avenue of trees suggest that this picture was taken some time later. A memorial was erected at the junction with the promenade in honour of the visit of Princess of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall. It was removed in the 1940s, the lamp re-erected outside Penzance Public Library and the commemorative stone at the entrance to the Magpies' football ground. In 2001, the houses remain, but the observatory atop Holbein House does not.
A view from the top of Alexandra Road with a single cyclist riding towards the photographer. Possibly taken circa 1895, (by the age of the trees), Alexandra Road had opened in the 1870s, a decade before Morrab Road, although much of it remained undeveloped for nearly a century.
Alexandra Terrace and the old road to Newlyn.There is a for sale sign erected in the field, the details are indistinct but appear to be for Alexandra Place and include No 10. The road alignment has changed since this photograph and the bridge is thought to have been extensively altered circa 2000. See also 2016.50.99.
Photograph of the Branwell family : Alfred and Isabel Branwell with their children, Vera, Edward and Sybil. Vera has her hair up, indicating an age of at least 17. All are wearing black, possibly in mourning for great-grandmother Branwell or aunt Marian Mudge.
Alfred and John Branwell (to the far right), sons of JR and Elizabeth Branwell, who lived at Penlee House, with a group of unknown friends. They stand in front of the door at Penlee House with John's camera on a stand positioned in the centre of their party. Possibly their photography society?
A photograph of Alfred Branwell, youngest son of JR and Elizabeth Branwell, who lived at Penlee House. However, the boy's age and looks suggest he is Herbert Thomas, son of Laura Branwell. He sits on a bench that faces the pond at Penlee, which is situated near the entrance by Trewithan Road. The pond is covered with water lilies with a small fountain in the centre. The photograph is taken from the pathway, looking towards the edge of the Park.
A photograph of a young Alfred Branwell, youngest son of JR and Elizabeth Branwell, who lived at Penlee House. He sits with a stick in hand, wearing a cap and fob chain. Most likely pictured within the grounds of Penlee House. The wicker chair is the same as used in PEZPH : 1993.43.5.
A photograph of who Elizabeth Trewhella refers to Alfred Branwell, youngest son of JR and Elizabeth Branwell, who lived at Penlee House. However, this boy's age and looks suggest he is Herbert Thomas, son of Laura Branwell. He stands in the garden, leaning against what appears to be a dining chair.
A sepia cabinet card of Alfred Branwell, son of JR Branwell, who lived at Penlee House. He wears a suit and spotted tie. 'Stereographic Company London' is printed in the bottom left-hand corner. Written on the back is the suggested date of 1910 followed with a question mark. The details of the photographer are also advertised on the back in a decorative form - The London Stereographic Company Photographers to Her Majesty 106 Regent Street, W. and 54, Cheapside, E.C' with an emblem.
A view of Alverton Farm with two embedded stones showing the dates 1674, with some initials and 1701 with different initials. The farm house was converted into the Pirate Inn in 1955 by the builders Venn Bros (Cornwall) Ltd. Prior to the farm house being sold a Mr Williams lived there and farmed the area and his brother who lived in Lansdowne, owned the farm house opposite and farmed that area. One of these two brothers was Mr T.T. Williams.
Left to right: Lennard’s shoe shop; man on bicycle; N J Hall’s provisions; Mr and Mrs Cooper’s shop; errand boy; milk lorry; 3 pairs of painter’s trestle with 9” board; policeman on point duty; Mudies’ library sign; Timothy Whites’; bow window above Pengelly’s shop
Left to right: errand boy’s bike beneath Ritz sign above Kodak sign on corner; man standing on 3 pairs of painter’s trestle with 9” board; Austin sign; Taylor’s garage; road sign; policeman on point duty; Mudies’ library sign; Timothy Whites’; policeman; Lloyd’s Bank wall
Looking towards Lloyds Dome, A G Pool, Wine and Spirit Merchant, is on the left and it looks like a man in a sea captain's or similar uniform carrying a back pack and basket is on the right beneath a shop with a decorative hanging sign and elaborate ironwork. Still a Solicitor’s in 2015, on the right is Trythal and Bodilly whose premises replaced Foxe’s Nursery and the garden belonging to the house opposite, which in 2015 is commercial premises.