Penlee House Gallery & Museum, Penzance
The artistic heart of West Cornwall's history

Notes:

This cross stood in the Greenmarket for many years as a boundary stone for the town; it was then moved to the bottom of Causewayhead, where it served as a tethering post for pigs en route to the Bullock Market. In order to make it fit into the recess in the Market House, the inscription was chipped away. In 1925 it was moved into the Morrab Gardens and in 1952 found its resting place in Penlee Park. It reads, 'The Cross of King Ricatus.' The Cross bears more inscriptions than any other in Cornwall and, if and when deciphered, would be a valuable source of information on Penzance. Height 2.07m, width 0.64m, depth 0.24m

Market House Cross

Record Number: PEZPH : 1989.1126
Identification
Full name: Black And White Photograph
Brief description: This cross stood in the Greenmarket for many years as a boundary stone for the town; it was then moved to the bottom of Causewayhead, where it served as a tethering post for pigs en route to the Bullock Market. In order to make it fit into the recess in the Market House, the inscription was chipped away. In 1925 it was moved into the Morrab Gardens and in 1952 found its resting place in Penlee Park. It reads, 'The Cross of King Ricatus.' The Cross bears more inscriptions than any other in Cornwall and, if and when deciphered, would be a valuable source of information on Penzance. Height 2.07m, width 0.64m, depth 0.24m
Production
Person: --
Date: --
Place: --
Copyright
Authority: --
Menu
Logo