Penlee House Gallery & Museum, Penzance
The artistic heart of West Cornwall's history

Notes:

The Market House dominates Market Jew Street with its giant Ionic portico, It was opened on 14 June 1837 a year after the previous Market House was demolished. The statue of Humphry Davy dates from 1872. The railings on The Terrace were fixed in 1864. Openheim's 'Great Furnishing Mart' can be seen on the right of the picture and on the extreme left, part of the sign of 'Ship and Castle' which closed under the provisions of the Licencing Act in December 1927. This inn had a portico as did the Star Inn farther up the street. The Weslyan Quarterly Meetings were held in the 'Star' and the preachers often dined there. Earlier in the 1800s The Terrace was cut back and the road widened. Formerly the road sloped gradually, leaving a narrow cartway on the south side.

The Market House, Penzance

Record Number: PEZPH : 1989.1079
Identification
Full name: Black And White Photograph
Brief description: The Market House dominates Market Jew Street with its giant Ionic portico, It was opened on 14 June 1837 a year after the previous Market House was demolished. The statue of Humphry Davy dates from 1872. The railings on The Terrace were fixed in 1864. Openheim's 'Great Furnishing Mart' can be seen on the right of the picture and on the extreme left, part of the sign of 'Ship and Castle' which closed under the provisions of the Licencing Act in December 1927. This inn had a portico as did the Star Inn farther up the street. The Weslyan Quarterly Meetings were held in the 'Star' and the preachers often dined there. Earlier in the 1800s The Terrace was cut back and the road widened. Formerly the road sloped gradually, leaving a narrow cartway on the south side.
Production
Person: --
Date: --
Place: --
Copyright
Authority: --
Menu
Logo