Penlee House Gallery & Museum, Penzance
The artistic heart of West Cornwall's history

Notes:

The shop on the left was run by the Stewart Family who were ironmongers, tin-smiths and plumbers. A large copper kettle above the entrance bore the name Thomas Stewart, Boiler and Gas Fitter. For many years this has been Pengelly's footware shop. The covered ope where two men are standing led to Stewart's Court which had five small cottages, occupied until 1930. Shops 8 and 9 were demolished at the turn of the 20th century and a large building erected for the Army and Navy Stores, owned by the Jenkinson family. In 1982 it became Mounts Bay Trading. Pearce's Barber's shop is adjacent. Parson's Grocery shop at No 13 is in 2011 a photography business. It moved to No 1 Causewayhead before the end of 1887 and several other trading locations and was in business for130 years.

Causewayhead In The Late Nineteenth Century

Record Number: PEZPH : 1989.1051
Identification
Full name: Black And White Photograph
Brief description: The shop on the left was run by the Stewart Family who were ironmongers, tin-smiths and plumbers. A large copper kettle above the entrance bore the name Thomas Stewart, Boiler and Gas Fitter. For many years this has been Pengelly's footware shop. The covered ope where two men are standing led to Stewart's Court which had five small cottages, occupied until 1930. Shops 8 and 9 were demolished at the turn of the 20th century and a large building erected for the Army and Navy Stores, owned by the Jenkinson family. In 1982 it became Mounts Bay Trading. Pearce's Barber's shop is adjacent. Parson's Grocery shop at No 13 is in 2011 a photography business. It moved to No 1 Causewayhead before the end of 1887 and several other trading locations and was in business for130 years.
Production
Person: Gibson, Sons
Date: --
Place: Penzance
Copyright
Authority: --
Menu
Logo