The gardens surrounding Penlee House

We are set within a delightful park which includes a children's play area, sensory garden, Victorian pond, memorial garden, open air theatre and the courts for Penzance Tennis Club.

Penlee Park

Penlee Memorial Park, which surrounds Penlee House, was bought by public subscription in 1946 after an appeal by the then Mayor, Robert Thomas, who said "the Town Council are of the opinion that no better war memorial could be provided to those men and women from this Borough who lost their lives while serving their country in the armed forces, the merchant navy or the civil defence, during the war just ended".


J.R. Branwell and his wife in the gardens, c.1890

The parkland surrounding Penlee House was initially planted by J.R. Branwell and included many rare species from all around the world. The family were friendly with the Dorien Smiths who still live at Tresco Abbey, on Tresco, Isles of Scilly. Photographs exist in their family albums showing the Branwells in the now famous Tresco Abbey gardens.

When J.R. Branwell died in 1902, the estate was left to Edith, until her death and then to Alfred. Alfred at that time lived at Trevean, a house close to the park and he took interest in the planting of the park and gardens soon after. He employed a gardener trained at Kew to oversee the work and such plants as the Ginkgo Biloba, otherwise known as the Maidenhair tree, which is possibly the most ancient of living flowering plants, the echium pininara, from the Canary Islands, and many other plants from China, South America and Australasia.

Apart from the informal and formal gardens, there were also kitchen and flower gardens in a walled enclosure, which provided produce and flowers for the house all through the year. When the park was purchased for a war memorial this area was designated to become a Garden of Remembrance, a place of quiet contemplation: a far cry from the bustle of its early life, when there were fruit trees around the walls and two greenhouses which grew orchids and arum lilies. The garden also boasted productive orange trees which were in existence until the early 1940s. The name of the café in Penlee House, The Orangery, is a reference to those days.


The memorial gardens and chapel of remembrance

The memorial garden was redesigned and replanted in recent years, incorporating many sub-tropical plants, and in this sheltered haven there are plants in flower at nearly all times of year.  Don't miss a stroll through this delightful, peaceful garden during a visit to Penlee House.   Another recent addition is the Sensory Garden alongside Penlee House itself, with planting designed to appeal to all the senses, together with a delightful water feature made by Michael Johnson at The Copper Works, Newlyn.

For younger visitors, Penlee Park boasts a superb Children's Play Area, with play equipment for a variety of ages - the ideal place to let off some steam before or after a visit to the Gallery.


The children's play area