Garnet Ruskin Wolseley - 1884 - 1967
Related to Field-Marshall Lord Wolseley and, on his mothers side, to John Ruskin, Garnet Wolseley trained at Bushy School of Painting and then at the Slade, where he won a scholarship.
In 1908, aged 24, Wolseley moved to Newlyn and soon formed a close friendship with Laura and Harold Knight. He was a popular figure in the later Newlyn colony and Laura Knight describes him taking part in wild but sparse attire at one of Phyllis Gotchs extravagant parties. The influence of Laura Knight is evident in much of Wolseleys early work and perhaps sparked the blossoming of his career at this time.
He worked from Sandy-Cove Studio, Newlyn, often painting in the Lamorna Valley nearby, until 1913. During this time, he exhibited regularly at the Royal Academy, the New English Art Club and the Walker Art Gallery. He also served on the main committee of the Newlyn Society of Artists and the hanging committee of Newlyn Art Gallery from 1911 to 1913.
From 1914 to 1918, Wolseley served in the Navy, and painted watercolours of ships and aeroplanes. After the War he became a fashionable portrait painter in Chelsea. He was made a member of the Royal West of England Academy in 1925 and continued to exhibit at the Royal Academy and NEAC.